When it comes to portfolio management, Tandem is willing to be different. We believe our approach to managing money is understandable, relatable and makes sense to our clients.
A Different Investment Philosophy
Companies capable of growing earnings regardless of economic circumstances are more likely to reward patient shareholders and to perform well over a complete market cycle. We expect that companies in our portfolios should demonstrate:
- consistent growth in earnings, revenues and cash flow through any economic environment
- consistent dividend growth as a result of earnings, revenue, and cash flow growth, if dividends are paid
- uniqueness, dominance, or competitive advantage
- consistency in and depth of management
A Different Investment Process
Our investment process is based on math. It removes human emotion, interpretation and bias by following this 4-step process:
- quantitative analysis: proprietary ratio computation across our 2,600+ stock universe
- semi-quantitative review: detailed fundamental review of quantitative findings
- human intervention: results reviewed by the investment team
- technical analysis: price action determines key entry and exit points
A Different Sell Discipline
Prescribed by methodology, our sell discipline can be applied in any market, no matter how volatile. Our discipline withstands the test of time because we strictly adhere to these criteria:
- fundamental sale: a stock violating Tandem’s fundamental criteria must be liquidated
- valuation sale: a stock meeting Tandem’s fundamental criteria but considered overvalued by Tandem’s quantitative process will have 25% of our holding sold
- significant price movement: a stock experiencing significant relative price appreciation will have 25% of the holding sold, and a stock experiencing significant relative price decline will be reviewed
A Different Investment Experience
As portfolio managers, we are not concerned with conforming to an industry norm. To us, Willing to be Different means:
- we exhibit low volatility and low downside capture
- we hold cash when few buy opportunities present themselves
- we can manage tax consequences
- we can manage the assets clients entrust to us, even if we didn’t buy them
- we buy stocks when they ought to be bought — not because we sold something
Tandem Investment Advisors, Inc. (Tandem) is an independent, employee-owned investment management firm located in Charleston, SC. Since its inception in 1990, Tandem has provided long-only U.S. equity strategies that are designed to outperform over a complete market cycle while delivering significantly less volatility of returns than the market.
Meet The Team
John B. Carew
President & Founder
John Carew is a shareholder, President, and Portfolio Manager for Tandem Investment Advisors, Inc. After beginning his career in 1985 with Thomson McKinnon Securities, Inc., Mr. Carew founded Tandem in 1990. Under Mr. Carew’s guidance, Tandem’s investment team has been nationally recognized numerous times by leading manager databases for performance and lower volatility. Mr. Carew is a frequent guest speaker on topics including dividend growth strategies, low volatility equity investing, and general market history and overview. Mr. Carew is a past National Board Member and Regional Board Chair for Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic (now Learning Ally), a non-profit organization dedicated to providing access to the written word. Mr. Carew is a graduate of the University of Virginia with a Bachelor of Arts in Economics.
William “Billy” L. Little, Jr., CFA
Billy Little is a shareholder, Vice President and Portfolio Manager for Tandem Investment Advisors, Inc. Mr. Little began his career in the investment industry in 2004, as a Financial Advisor with Ameriprise Financial in Baltimore, Maryland. Mr. Little joined Tandem in 2006 where he directs Tandem’s quantitative research. He is a regular member of the CFA Institute and past President of the CFA Society South Carolina. Mr. Little graduated from the College of Charleston with a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance.
Benjamin “Ben” G. Carew, CFA
Ben Carew is a shareholder and Portfolio Manager for Tandem Investment Advisors, Inc. Mr. Carew joined Tandem in 2013. His duties include quantitative and fundamental research and portfolio management. Mr. Carew also oversees Tandem’s internship program. Mr. Carew is a graduate of the College of Charleston’s School of Business, earning a Bachelor of Arts in Economics with a minor in Finance.
Elaine M. Natoli
Director of Communications
Elaine Natoli is the Director of Communications for Tandem Investment Advisors, Inc. Ms. Natoli joined Tandem in 2016. She oversees Tandem’s marketing and communications efforts for our partners across the United States. Ms. Natoli is a past Cabinet Chair of the American Lung Association and is an ongoing member of the Lung Force Cabinet in Charleston, South Carolina. Ms. Natoli is a graduate of the College of Charleston’s School of Arts, earning a Bachelor of Arts in Arts Management with a Minor in Hospitality and Tourism Management.
Alison J. Cianci
Director of Client Services
Allison Cianci is the Director of Client Services for Tandem Investment Advisors, Inc. Ms. Cianci joined Tandem in 2016. She oversees Tandem’s operations and administrative functions. Ms. Cianci is a mom of two young children. When Ms. Cianci is not in the office she enjoys spending time biking, rowing, and baking. Ms. Cianci graduated from Johnson & Wales University with an associates in Food & Beverage Management.
Jordan S. Watson, CFA
Investment Management Associate
Jordan Watson is an Investment Management Associate for Tandem Investment Advisors, Inc. In 2018, Mr. Watson traveled to Zürich, Switzerland to work under Aquamarine Capital’s founder and CEO, Guy Spier. While there he co-authored a white paper on the background, impacts, and outlooks of global central bank monetary policy. Jordan joined Tandem in 2019. His present duties include conducting quantitative and fundamental research. Mr. Watson is a past U.S. Markets Analyst for the 5th cohort of the College of Charleston Investment Program and graduated from the College of Charleston’s School of Business with a Bachelor of Science in Finance.
Interested in joining our team? Visit our Careers page to learn more about how to apply.
Learn more about our internship program for college seniors with appropriate prerequisites.
Check our frequently asked questions library to learn more about Tandem Investment Advisors, Inc.